Thursday, February 3, 2011

Why I Love Having Young Kids at My Age

So, most of my friends from high school started having kids younger than I did. Some are even grandparents now. It's weird, because it makes me feel old, but then I look at my kids (in elementary and middle schools), and feel a little younger again.

I've learned a lot from my kids. They make up words, they are sarcastic just like me and my husband, and we have some interesting conversations. For example:

Took Matthew to McD's the other night to get some "crack for kids", otherwise known as nuggets.
Matt: Mom, do you know why McDonald's chicken nuggets are so good?
Me: No, why are they so good?
Matt: It's the grease!

Picking up Matthew from school:
Me looking in the rearview & not seeing him: Matt, what're you doing?
Matt: Looking at my shadow. Hey, you don't have eyes in the back of your head... & neither does daddy!
Me: Then how come I know when you're up to no good?
Matt: (silence)

I added a new word to my vocabulary -- 'aloneless': the condition opposite of crowded or accompanied by others. Apparently, this word exists only in 'Matthew's Unabridged Dictionary v.1'.

I learned that a place can be "infested with people" -- courtesy of Andrew.

I've also learned that spelling bees can have some of the dumbest words. Andrew (my straight-A student) was recently caught off guard because he was supposed to spell "yippee". Seriously? Yippee? He missed the word after correctly spelling "warrior". Go figure.

3 comments:

  1. Kids say the most amazing things. "Aloneness" is so clever but I really relate to "infested with people." He's right, there is such a condition. That's why I live in the middle of nowhere. Smart boy.

    Lol @ "Matthew's Unabridged Dictionary v.1."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you should write it all down and publish "Matthew's Unabridged Dictionary" LOL Great post <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I married at 18 but didn't start having children until I was 25. I turn 50 in a couple of days and I don't feel it. My girls are grown women now and this stage is as much fun as when they were young. I am not a Grandma yet,do have one married and one to be married this summer. But it amazes me how many of my classmates have been grandparents for quite awhile. I will enjoy when I am but I feel so young myself that I can't fathom that I could be. Your boys sound delightful! Maybe Matthew will turn out to be a stand up comic~~

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips